Welcome!

Hello everybody!


The picture you see shows an Epiphone Sheraton II,
a truly legendary guitar, not only because I have got one, but also because its previously released model (Sheraton) was played by the great bluesman, John Lee Hooker, in the '60s.
I was looking for a picture which could figure the most interesting aspect of mine, and eventually (I came in fact quite quickly to a decision) I realized that nothing would be more fitting than a picture of my guitar to represent the great passion I have for Music...

Monday 31 March 2008

Intercultural Competence




Reading through the intercultural competence's presentation, I thought about the last English literature course, that I had attended with Professor Oboe last year. It was during that course, in fact, that I came across some points of intercultural competences for the first time. It was talking about literature in English coming from outside England, that I realized that till that time I hadn’t developed an awareness of how dealing with the differences between different cultures. But what had struck me more, had been that through those lectures I had been acknowledging more and more that I my cultural frame towards some people or cultures was incredibly narrowed; not only because I knew little about them (and that might even be excused), but also because I had strong bias against them, and I didn’t even know why... and it was so depressing realizing that! Sometimes we have a distorted vision of things just because it’s our culture that has injected it to us... and that’s a pity, isn’t it?
Finally, what I understood at the end of that course, was that I have to try to look at things, considering them from more perspectives... it can’t be that easy, I know and it might be taken for granted... Although I have been studying foreign languages for years and I’ve been dealing with different cultures too, I realize there’s still much to do for me, to enhance my intercultural competence.

1 comment:

Francesco, Lucio said...

Bello accorgersi dei pregiudizi per poi abatterli. I pregiudizi in senso lato li abbiamo tutti, l'importante è essere abbastanza aperti da metterli in discussione. Volevo farti i miei complimenti per i tuoi gusti artistici, e soprattutto per la tua attività musicale. Ti faccio gli auguri per il tuo nuovo disco. Suoni qualche volta a Padova? Dove?